Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. When Will the new school building be completed?
Based on the latest projections, the school building will be completed by Wednesday 15th September 2021.
2. When will the school be open?
The school will be open for parents/carers to visit on Wednesday 22nd September 2021.
School will start on Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th September 2021 for children.
3. How many people will be in each class?
There will be a maximum of seven children per class with a minimum of one teacher and three teaching assistants.
4. What time will school start and finish?
School starts at 8.40am
School finishes at 2.50pm
5. What does the school day look like?
8.40am – 8.55am Arrive at school and drop off
8.55am – 9.15am Welcome and circle time
9.15am – 10.45am Morning Session
11.15am – 12.45pm Mid-Morning session
1.15pm – 2.45pm Afternoon session
2.50pm – 3.00pm Home
Break/Snack 10.45am to 11.15pm
Lunchtime 12 noon to 1pm
6. Where can I park at the school?
The majority of children will arrive by local authority transport. If you are bringing your child to school, please park in one of the nearby streets.
7. How will you support my child at lunchtime?
We have an independent catering company who provide a four week rotating menu. Alternatively, you can send your child to school with a healthy packed lunch.
Healthy snacks will also be provided in school, but you may wish to send your child in with an appropriate healthy snack (no fizzy drinks or chocolate bars).
8. What is the school uniform?
All children must wear school uniform, click here for more details.
9. What enrichment activities will there be?
The school has a designated PE outdoor education expert who will coordinate a range of indoor and outdoor experiences for the children. More details to follow.
10. What therapy is available at school?
The school employs two fulltime Speech and Language Therapists (SALT) and an Occupational Therapist (OT). In addition, we offer Drama Therapy, Music Therapy and Canine Assisted Therapy (CAL).
11. How will you keep in touch with parents/carers?
We will communicate regularly via: home/school liaison books, weekly phone calls from teachers, termly progress reports/ parent/carer evenings.
12. What autism expertise do staff have?
Plus lots more!
13. What support is offered to parents/carers
The school has employed an autism specialist teacher who will run half-termly parent/carer workshops.
14. What curriculum do you follow?
The school follows the EQUALS curriculum.
15. What is the school’s vision/values?
Our vision for Addington Valley Academy is to provide a positive environment where children and young people with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) access specialist support that enables them to learn and achieve.
Achievement, Well-being, Communication and Independence
To realise our vision, we will:
· work with students, families and the community to provide a kind, caring and collaborative environment that engages, inspires and challenges
· develop independence and communication skills to ensure meaningful outcomes for all students
· support and prepare students for adulthood and life after school
· ensure the whole school community is valued and respected
Our provision and curriculum is underpinned by a communication and positive behaviour based model. It includes therapeutic approaches, sensory integration and supports students to access the core and wider curriculum and understand their world.
The areas of engagement underpin our curriculum. We support children in developing in these 5 areas to ensure they are able to develop independent learning skills;
Initiation – how students investigate a new experience or task
Exploration – how students continue to explore a new experience of task
Persistence – how students continue to concentrate and stick with a new experience or task
Realisation – how students use the knowledge learned through a new experience or task
Anticipation – how well our students can model a familiar experience or task in their minds
We use these values to celebrate daily achievements and acknowledge progress made.
If you have any other queries, please email Tina Mcmenamin email@example.com